The Maze Runner Movie Compared With The Book

I just saw the 2014 movie adaptation of James Dashner's The Maze Runner and I thought I would share some of the impressions I got as someone who read the book series. This is because whenever there is a movie adaptation, I would always look up what the book readers thought of the movie. In this case though, I found myself to be on the other side of the fence so to speak and perhaps it wouldn't hurt to share my views.


As any movie adaptation out there, some characters and scenes are changed a bit, if not given a complete makeover. Gally got the brunt of this one. His character was changed so much, I almost didn't recognize him. I remember Gally as more mistrusting, more sinister, and more paranoid. He would look like a complete bully ready to gang up on somebody. The Gally in the movie acted more like a spoiled child who throws fits when he doesn't get his way. 




This one doesn't bother me but book readers were surprised to see Alby smile.




 I have imagined Minho being grittier. Minho is the total fighter in the book. He could undergo any trial bloody and bruised but his head would be unbowed. The Minho in the movie looked innocent and just wants to get out of the Maze.



Book readers know the hell Minho will go through in the whole series. It would be incredulous if the movie counterpart wouldn't fit the bill. Toughen up for one hell of a ride. So, practice more of this.




Some readers will say that Newt was too thin in the movie but I personally think Thomas Brodie-Sangster was perfect as Newt. I didn't know who's who at the start of the movie but one look at Thomas Brodie-Sangster in his Glader clothes and I thought, "That's Newt." He has morphed into my favorite movie character. Seeing him just standing in the Glade screams of Newt.



Some scenes were tweaked a bit in Teresa's case. I really didn't obsess on how her character should look like although I was surprised at myself for thinking Kaya Scodelario's portrayal of the character reminded me of Bella from the Twilight Saga. When I think of what her character will be doing in the upcoming movie sequel though, I think she would be doing wonders.




I never understood one moviegoer who said it was like Hunger Games but less romance. Well, the first book might've only suggested of a possible romance but the second one, The Scorch Trials, will show a full-blown love triangle. Who's the third in the triangle? Brenda. She will played by actress Rosa Salazar.



 

I can't comment much on the lead character Thomas. Dylan O'Brien looks the part and acts the part. Great actor.



The Glade was a downer. It looked like a very crude place because they used twigs in the sheds. Here's the thing about the Glade. It look a bit inconsistent. There are some trees and farms but there is an inexplicable supply of electricity that no one knows how they got it. It's a Glade with modern and basic elements at the same time. It wasn't pure rural items. In any case, the movie could've made a better job at the sheds.

The movie didn't quite copy the Grievers in the book. The movie portrayed it at some sort of huge mechanical spider. The books says it some sort of jelly with mechanical spikes. That's why there's so much fluid around it. It is hard to envision, true. But it was really clear that the Griever had some jelly in them and would roll around the Maze.

And before I forget, what's up with changing the Map? It deprived the characters from getting into the password. In the movie, there is a whole section that was just revealed when Thomas killed a Griever. But in the book, it has always been there. The Gladers called it the Cliff because it is just a vast expanse of emptiness. 

The map in the book was drawn in sections. The shed has tons of them. But the map in the movie was made into one whole circular piece conveniently placed on a huge table. 

There's a reason why Thomas was very familiar with the workings of the Maze. There was a reason why he knew how to get to the password and how to get out. All these were summed up into well, it's because a section opened. It is probably because of time limits but this change definitely makes the book readers have a more 'problem-solving' experience than a pure action sequence.

Some of the violent scenes were tweaked a bit and so every time that happened, I remember the movie rating - parental guidance. I guess that part is a trade-off. With less violence, we got to see a movie adaptation release.

Overall, I like the movie adaptation. They missed in some parts but it is still the same exciting, amazing, and fast-paced 'The Maze Runner'.






Comments

Popular Posts

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Followers

Background

StatCounter